Device-based Home Inventory = Peace of Mind!
Having an up-to-date home inventory is not only practical but almost essential in many regards. Most see it as a good thing to do for when a catastrophic life event may hit them – such as a storm, fire or flood. It is also beneficial in case of theft or damage. In any case, you will need to supply comprehensive documentation when the need arises.
Many have chosen the route to do it themselves; typically creating a spreadsheet or text file that may or may not have embedded photos. While it can be done, the nature of a home inventory – large investment up front in time to capture all your important possessions – soon falls victim to disinterest. Rarely do users interact with their home inventory data. And there is the beginning of several fundamental flaws of such an effort.
Issues with Computer-based Home inventories.
Whether done manually or with an app the following computer-based issues should be considered:
- The app/file is very rarely revisited – you run the risk of forgetting the file name/location.
- The app/file does not make it during a computer upgrade or issue – the typical backup/restore issues.
- The app/file may or may not be stored in the cloud or in a safe location.
- The computer with the information could be destroyed or damaged in the loss event.
- Many computer-based HI apps use smart phones as a data collection device – to acquire photos and info. Most data manipulation is done on the computer app.
handi2 Philosophy – Use the Inventory Data with your Device
- Leveraging all the inventory data, our apps provide desktop functionality from devices.
- We aligned the needs of the homeowner/renter for home/rental Maintenance, Repair and Operations (MRO) support.
- It is likely that when a catastrophic event happens that users will likely have their device with them as opposed to a computer – even a laptop or tablet – especially if it is a life-threatenting instant evacuation requirement.
- Taking the inventory data, warranty status, fire/smoke detector expirations are monitored.
- Up to 3 photos of each asset are recorded.
- Warranty/Extended warranty dates and contacts are secured.
- Initial asset summary screen can be sorted over several dimensions.
- Entire summary data can be outputted to a CSV file – spreadsheet portability that can be opeoned directly on Windows/MAC computers or other devices.
- Time/Date stamped notes entered in a separate view-controller. Keeps a history of asset repairs/issues. These notes can be printed from the device.
- Asset summary page can be easily printed.
- Calendar reminder utility to set maintenance intervals.
- 1-touch replacement parts – from the asset screen, one touch passes asset make & model info to immediately find the correct part for the asset.
- 1-touch WEB info search – from the asset screen, one touch passes asset make & model info to immediately find information for the asset – easily track down videos, manuals. Manuals can be printed or saved locally (iOS only) for future reference.
- Comprehensive HELP manual included – can also be printed.
Enjoy our latest video that addresses these issues: